Let's Talk Business - Establishing Your Brand

Wednesday, February 22, 2012



Hello friends! Happy Wednesday, thanks for stopping by to chat some about business. I really enjoyed last week's discussion about creating passion-driven business models. Today, I'm addressing a concern that came up several times from readers, how to establish your shop online...whether it's Etsy or otherwise. I'll offer my suggestions and I'd love to hear what you all have to say as well. I'll be around all day to answer questions- anticipating multiple coffee refills today!


So, how do we do it? How do we make our mark? I've shared before that when I initially opened my shop on Etsy, I had the "make it and they will come" approach. I also subscribed to, "I'll just throw it out there and see what happens" kind of philosophy. Which, actually worked for a bit. Until it didn't.  Because in the middle of being all creative and such we also need to have a plan. 


We need a strategy that is more than just getting found in the search results, it is about being remarkable


{why don't we go ahead and read that sentence again.}


Being remarkable means you make/give/share/show something worthy of remembering, worthy of being talked about. 


So what might it look like in practice? Here's some thoughts on making your mark to establish your shop, yourself. 
  • Be You.  We want to hear from you, in your voice. When I think of the shops/sites I love (and remember!)...they are so genuine it seeps from the computer screen. 
  • Be Cohesive.  From your products, to photography, to branding make them yours and make them consistent. In practice cohesion looks like clear branding images across the board (shop, social media, invoices, etc.) and your products are designed from a point of view (not a mish mash).  Choose a style for your photography - make it crisp and awesome, then stick with it.  All this makes it easy for folks (buyers, magazine editors, Etsy admin....) to recognize your shop...again and again. 
  • Be Choosy.  Carefully, thoughtfully, strategically, and heartfully decide where to connect. You don't need to be visiting every blog, every forum, every team, every social media outlet. Figure out what works for you, your target market, and what is smart for your shop.
  • Be Good.  Whatever you do, do it well. If you're going to retail fabric, cut some straight lines. If you design stationery, use the best paper. If you create handbags, sew impeccable seams.  These details get noticed....and remembered.

These are just a few ways to establish your shop. What else can we add to this? 



How do you do it? How do you make your mark?  


{Have a business concern? Post your burning question below and I'll add it to the list to be discussed on one of our Wednesday chats!} 



Week Five: The Art of Being Different with Tracey Selingo
Week Six: Identifying Your Target Market with Noisette Academy