Modern Wall Art Tutorial

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

wall hoop tutorial


When the folks at Accuquilt asked if I wanted to try out their product...I responded with a resounding, heck yeah! I had actually never seen one of their magical fabric cutter machines before but after discovering that it precisely & super easily cuts fabric into fantastic shapes I was hooked! I chose these darling bird die cuts, because well, I live in Portland and we like to put birds on things :)

Anyhow, I loved the clean silhouette of the birds and really wanted to showcase that. Hence, these modern art embroidery hoops. They're a snap to make and so cute you'll want to hang some everywhere! 
Supplies
-dark fabric pieces for birds with contrasting prints for background
-double side fusible interfacing (not shown)
- embroidery hoops in various sizes
- fabric glue
-sewing machine (optional sewing) 


Here's my beautiful Accuquilt machine...not at all intimidating. I admit, I was so nervous at first...but then I read the directions and tried it out....wow, it's a snap! 

Look! I laid down my (practice) fabric, turned the little crank and voila - out came perfectly cut birdies :) 
For the wall art, I adhered double sided fusible web on each bird (made with Kona Ash solid). 


For the background fabric I chose three prints, tracing the hoop and then adding 3/4"-1" extra (to wrap around the edge of the hoop). 
 
Next, I fused each bird to the center of the fabric circles- I determined the middle by folding the circle into fourths, like a pie piece. I was still a little off on one of them, but I think it looks pretty cute anyway. I then top-stitched around each bird, though this entirely optional.                                    
 
Last step, I folded over the edge of the fabric, using just a bit of glue to keep it in place. Be careful to avoid getting glue on the actual front of the hoop fabric (Like I did...don't look to closely at the orange one ;) 



And, ta da! Here they are in all their simple and modern glory! 


I think these birds would look charming just about anywhere I put them. I do have a few other shapes too, flowers and stars....any other projects you'd like to see? 

4 comments :

Marci Girl said...

I was lucky enough to win one of these babies a little over a month ago! It is super fun to play with, and I don't know about your son, but my son loved helping me "crank" the machine!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this! A friend of mine is getting one this week and we have plans to make Modern Plus quilts with 5 inch squares. She also got the Tumbler shape and I would love to try that as well. :)

Unknown said...

That looks like fun! I love the project, too! Great look all combined.

Everyday Housewife said...

Apply the fusible to your fabric first and then run it through your baby! Makes it so much easier