Business Bits - More Marketing

Monday, April 19, 2010

Topic: Marketing- Connecting & Conversations

Here, I'll just jump right to the point. There are two types of marketing (in my opinion) the type that shouts and the type that connects.

What type do you think works best? I don't know, I'm sure there are studies out there somewhere. But, I know I'd rather connect to a brand/company/site than be begged, bombarded, and pleaded with.

So that's how I approach marketing. In an earlier Business Bits post about "premarketing", I mentioned that marketing is like telling your story. After identifying your story, you want to get on out there & share!

{{Hello World by Vol25}}

So what does that mean?

It means having a conversation. Connecting. Engaging. Being genuine.

How to do this? well, frankly, that's where social media + creative ideas comes into play.

(few ideas: blogging, twitter, facebook, cross-promoting, inviting your buyers to interact)

Admittedly, this is not my strength. But I'm constantly thinking how can I connect with people who may or may not be buyers. They might be buyers someday. They might recommend me to their friend. Or ...they might just become my own friend, business partner, colleague, mentor.....

I've said before that I had serious doubts about Twitter (but I also grew up with a mum who bought her first -and only- computer entirely to play "Solitaire," because, who can trust the Internets?) Anyhow, I've come to realize Twitter is a fabulous example of how to share a bit about who you are (notice I say 'a bit'), what your brand is all about, and again, what is your story.

So...maybe hold off on buying that ad space & that sale you're frantically promoting in the Etsy Forums and think more about how & who you can connect with.

Further Reading:

Twitter: Conversation vs. Broadcast from CraftMBA:
What Every Good Marketer Knows from Seth Godin (a must read!)
Social Media vs. Traditional Media from Inkling Media
Profile: ModCloth from Inc.com (ModCloth really has the whole thing figured out, inspiring!)

3 comments :

Sam said...

Hi Alissa, Thanks so much for your bits about marketing in the new media. I'm saving all your related blogs and read them daily, like devotionals. You are inspiring and very kind to share trade "secrets". -- Sam

allisa jacobs said...

Thank you for this wonderful message Sam! I'm so glad you're finding them helpful. Do let me know if there's a specific topic you'd like covered & I'll see what I can rustle up ;)

cheers!

Ken said...

Great stuff. I love how you put it all in perspective. And thanks for linking to the article on my blog. Greatly appreciated.